Crumbles are one of life’s greatest pleasures. This dessert sits comfortably somewhere between a sweet lasagne and a crumble. It’s sugar free and dairy free, and could easily be Paleo by cutting out the oats and using a combination of almond meal and crushed nuts instead. It takes no time at all to make, and is a seriously heart-warming and soul-serving treat.
- 2 Granny Smith apples (pears would also be yum!)
- 1 cup frozen berries
- 8 tbsp almond meal
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup oats or muesli
- 2 tbsp almond butter or nut butter of choice
- Stevia if desired
- Heat the oven to 180°C, fan-forced with the grill on.
- Wash apples then slice with a mandolin or very finely slice with a knife.
- Mix together the almond meal, coconut butter, almond butter, cinnamon and optional stevia to form a smooth paste.
- In ramekins, layer the apple slices, then some of the almond meal paste, then some berries, and keep layering until the ramekin is nearly full, leaving a little bit of the almond meal paste for the topping. (You could also make this in a large baking dish, just double or triple the recipe.)
- Mix the oats/muesli together with the last of the paste and spoon onto the ramekins.
- Bake for 15-25mins or until the apple is cooked through and the top is a crunchy golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve as is, or with a dollop of natural yoghurt, coconut yoghurt or coconut cream.